Transportation Riders United is a nonprofit organization that has been working since 1999 to improve public transit in greater Detroit through education, engagement, and advocacy.
Based in Detroit, our mission is to improve and promote transit in greater Detroit in order to restore urban vitality, insure transportation equity, and improve quality of life.
Our volunteer Board of Directors sets our mission and priorities, ensures sufficient resources, and oversees our activities. Our small but active staff lead and manage TRU’s daily activities, which include research, education, engagement, outreach, and advocacy.
Our plans and priorities are laid out in their entirety in our 3-year Strategic Plan. Each year, we evaluate the current transit situation and our ability to make an impact in order to update that plan and create an Annual Plan. Our current priorities include:
- Build broad public support for regional transit and dedicated funding and get it back on the ballot.
- Get more people involved in transit through events, coalitions, and social media engagement
- Improve our communications to more effectively share our knowledge and positions
- Strengthen TRU board leadership and financial diversity
- Identify ways to improve current transit, including encouraging ridership and exploring new mobility
As a nonprofit organization, our work is only possible through the generous support of our members, sponsors, and funders.
- Special thanks to the Sally Mead Hands Foundation and the Kresge Foundation for their generous support.
- Thank you also to the wonderful sponsors of our events and programs
- Enormous thanks also to each and every individual who has donated to TRU, ranging from $5 to $5,000. Please donate today to support our work.
In the interest of transparency, TRU’s financial records are available for public review: