Transportation Riders United is a nonprofit organization that has been working since 1999 to improve public transit in greater Detroit through education, engagement, and advocacy.
Based in downtown Detroit, our mission is to improve and promote transit in greater Detroit in order to restore urban vitality, insure transportation equity, and improve quality of life.
Our volunteer Board of Directors sets our mission and priorities, ensures sufficient resources, and oversees our activities. Our small but active staff lead and manage TRU’s daily activities, which include research, education, engagement, outreach, and advocacy.
Our plans and priorities are laid out in their entirety in our 3-year Strategic Plan. Each year, we evaluate the current transit situation and our ability to make an impact in order to update that plan and create an Annual Plan. Our current priorities include:
- Build majority support for regional transit and dedicated funding.
- Maintain and improve Detroit bus service.
- Develop tools and systems to effectively share our knowledge and positions
- Strengthen TRU structure, decision-making, and board leadership
- Expand our annual Regional Transit Awards fundraising dinner
As a nonprofit organization, our work is only possible through the generous support of our members, sponsors, and funders.
- Special thanks to the Sally Mead Hands Foundation and the Kresge Foundation for their generous support.
- A huge thank you also to the sponsors of our Annual Awards Dinner.
- Enormous thanks also to each and every individual who has donated to TRU, ranging from $5 to $5,000. Please donate today to support our work.