Transportation Riders United is a nonprofit that has been working since 1999 to improve public transit in greater Detroit through education, engagement, and advocacy.
TRU believes everyone should be able to get where they need to go.
We educate, mobilize, and advocate for more and better public transit and other affordable mobility options throughout metro Detroit.
TRU’s new mission statement, officially adopted Nov 13, 2019
- All people in greater Detroit will have reliable, safe, and affordable access to the places they live, work, shop, and play through a high-quality transit system.
- An integrated network of buses, trains, bike routes, and other transportation options will seamlessly connect our cities, region, and beyond.
- This system will foster attractive livable neighborhoods, enhance business opportunities and improve the environmental quality of the region.
- TRU is dedicated to serving the public’s best interest. We are part of the community and work on behalf of the community.
- TRU works hard because we are confident that we can make a difference over the long-term. We are results-oriented and mission-driven.
- TRU believes in collaboration and teamwork. We seek to engage new and diverse partners and supporters.
- TRU is committed to providing trustworthy information and to making well- reasoned, evidence-based decisions.
- TRU values openness and respectful candor. We strive to always act with honesty and integrity.
WHO – Our volunteer Board of Directors sets our mission and priorities, ensures sufficient resources, and oversees our activities. Our small but active staff lead and manage TRU’s daily activities, which include research, education, engagement, outreach, and advocacy.
PRIORITIES – from our 3-year Strategic Plan, our current priorities include:
- Maintain and grow our financial support for long-term sustainability
- Increase the likelihood of increased transit investment by getting regional transit funding back on the ballot and ready to succeed.
- Boost transit ridership through employer partnerships and individual engagement
- Strengthen TRU’s influence and ability to bring about positive change
- Raise awareness of the need for equity in new mobility
SUPPORTERS – As a nonprofit organization, our work is only possible through the generous support of our members, sponsors, and funders.
- Special thanks to the Sally Mead Hands Foundation, United Way of Southeast Michigan, and the Kresge Foundation for their generous support.
- Thank you also to the wonderful sponsors of our events and programs
- Enormous thanks also to each and every individual who has donated to TRU, ranging from $5 to $5,000. Please donate today to support our work.
TRANSPARENCY – TRU’s financial records are available for public review: