Transportation Riders United is a nonprofit that has been working since 1999 to improve public transit in greater Detroit through education, engagement, and advocacy.
TRU believes everyone should be able to get where they need to go.
We educate, mobilize, and advocate for more and better public transit and other affordable mobility options throughout metro Detroit.
TRU’s mission statement, officially adopted Nov 13, 2019
Our VISION: Universal Access
- All people in greater Detroit will have reliable, safe, and affordable access to the places they live, work, shop, and play through a high-quality transit system.
- An integrated network of buses, trains, bike routes, and other transportation options will seamlessly connect our cities, region, and beyond.
- This system will foster attractive livable neighborhoods, enhance business opportunities and improve the environmental quality of the region.
Our VALUES: Trustworthy Teamwork for the Public Interest
- TRU is dedicated to serving the public’s best interest. We are part of the community and work on behalf of the community.
- TRU works hard because we are confident that we can make a difference over the long-term. We are results-oriented and mission-driven.
- TRU believes in collaboration and teamwork. We seek to engage new and diverse partners and supporters.
- TRU is committed to providing trustworthy information and to making well- reasoned, evidence-based decisions.
- TRU values openness and respectful candor. We strive to always act with honesty and integrity.
Our volunteer Board of Directors sets our mission and priorities, ensures sufficient resources, and oversees our activities.
Our small but active staff lead and manage TRU’s daily activities, which include research, education, engagement, outreach, and advocacy.
Our members, partners, and supporters provide the resources, input, and activism essential to bring about positive change.
While there are hundreds of ways we could potentially help improve and promote public transit (and dozens of things we wish we could do), we carefully analyze and strategically decide each year where our time, voice, and effort can bring about the greatest positive change.
- Transit Support at the Ballot
- Expand SMART throughout Oakland County and renew SMART in Macomb County
- Increase the likelihood of increased transit investment by getting regional transit funding back on the ballot and ready to succeed
- Enhance State support for transit and sustainable mobility
- Build on our Green Rides, Blue Skies campaign to ensure implementation of transit goals in the MI Healthy Climate Plan
- Mobilize allies statewide to push the Michigan Department of Transportation for greater transit investment and prioritization
- Restore DDOT
- Demand Mayor Duggan restore full DDOT bus service and commit to long term improvement
- Federal Funding campaign
- Urge RTA and agencies to maximize the impact of unprecedented levels of federal transit investment
- Enhance TRU’s efficacy and impact
- Grow our financial support and partnerships for long-term sustainability
As a nonprofit organization, our work is only possible through the generous support of our members, sponsors, and funders.
- Special thanks to the Sally Mead Hands Foundation, United Way of Southeast Michigan, and Forth for their generous support.
- Thank you also to the wonderful sponsors of our events and programs
- Enormous thanks also to each and every individual who has donated to TRU, ranging from $5 to $5,000.
Please donate today to support our work.
TRU’s financial records are available for public review: