Because of the broad benefits improved transit would provide to so many aspects of our society, there are dozens, possibly hundreds of organizations, businesses, and institutions that support transit. Yet these supporters have rarely been brought together to advance transit improvements. Tackling many other other priorities, many groups lack the capacity to track everything happening on transit.
let TRU be your transit advisor!
TRU is launching the “Friends of Transit” network!
Friends of Transit groups officially state they agree that:
- Metro Detroit needs more and better public transit and
- Public transit is worth public investment!
We plan to compile is list of organizations, businesses, and institutions that agree that transit is worth taxpayer investment. We’ll keep these supporters updated with regular newsletters and occasional invitations to events or to take action to support transit.
TRU will offer to Friends of Transit:
- Monthly email updates on top transit-related news, events, and opportunities
- Quarterly briefings, conference calls, or other opportunities to allies to learn, advise, and engage
- Concrete opportunities to take meaningful actions
- Transit-related reports, facts, and analysis
- Offer presentations to their staff, network, or community
- Answers to transit-related questions, as feasible
- Occasionally share their info in our newsletter
- Connect people
TRU will invite Friends of Transit to take meaningful pro-transit actions (never required), such as:
- Join / add a few staff to our email list to get regular updates
- Share specific transit info with your network
- Sign on to group letters on specific issues
- Contact specific elected officials
- Financial support for TRU advocacy
- Donations, membership, or sponsorship
- Explore joint grant opportunities
- Submit or co-sign op-eds
- Arrange transit impact story interviews
- Have a team member apply to join TRU’s board
- Other education, mobilization, and advocacy opportunities as may arise
For each action, TRU will provide the background, need, opportunity, targets, contact information, and talking points or other sample materials.
TRU would be proud to become your transit advocacy department!
We look forward to exploring with each and every Friend of Transit partner how we can best support each other and work together to achieve great things for Detroit and Michigan transit! Contact Megan@DetroitTransit.org to discuss ideas and opportunities!