TRU sends our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Fred Westbrook, who recently passed away from COVID-19. He recently retired after many years a president of Detroit’s bus drivers union, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 26, fighting for fair treatment of bus riders. For 30 years, he negotiated bonuses for bus drivers if ridership …
TRU’s Annual Meeting, held Monday January 2017 at the MSU Detroit Center, was packed with over 150 people including transit agency leaders and employees, bus riders, civic leaders, public officials, community activists, and transit supporters.
The event included
1) a TRU presentation on The 2016 Year In Review
2) A State of Metro Detroit Transit Panel Discussion, featuring RTA’s Michael Ford, SMART’s John Hertel, DDOT’s Dan Dirks, and M-1 Rail’s Sommer Woods
3) The TRU Board Election
Highlights of the presentations are summarized with photos and links to videos and downloadable documents.
While most of the major transit service improvements are dependent on passing the Regional Transit ballot measure this November, there are some important improvements starting now! New regional transit service launching – Reflex! RTA, DDOT, and SMART have partnered up to launch a pilot project called Reflex. Starting Sept 3-5, you can travel quickly and …
Vice President Joe Biden came to Detroit, echoing what TRU has long said, that “Transportation is the single biggest factor allowing people to move up the economic ladder.”
Mayor Duggan thanked Biden for his help in Detroit getting federal grants for 80 new DDOT buses which are now all on the road, enabling DDOT to finally run 100 percent of their scheduled service!
TRU applauds this important progress, yet notes that far more still remains to be done. DDOT must maintain this progress, improve on-time service, and develop a plan for long-term improvement, in coordination with regional partners.
Thank you to everyone who came out for TRU’s 2015 Annual Meeting, which included three major components:
1) TRU’s Business meeting, featuring the election to the Board of Directors
2) The State of the Region’s Transit presentation by Executive Director Megan Owens
3) An interactive presentation and discussion of Community Engagement in Transit Decision-Making led by Assistant Director Ruth Johnson
See pictures, download documents, and learn lots more about this great event.