Voters throughout Oakland and Macomb Counties will soon decide whether to maintain and expand public transit.
On the November 8 ballot will be:
- The Macomb County Public Transit millage – to renew the millage that funds SMART and local transit providers
- The Oakland County Public Transit millage – to maintain SMART and rural transit services AND expand transit services countywide (replacing the current SMART and rural transit millages)
- The Wayne Public Transit Authority millage – to renew the millage that funds SMART services in the Wayne County communities that have opted-in (not including Detroit, Livonia, Plymouth, Canton, others)
Why Vote YES for County Transit?
- Transit is essential
- for seniors who can’t drive to remain independent
- for working families who can’t afford cars, gas, and insurance
- for small businesses, who need reliable workers even if their car breaks down
- for slowing the climate crisis with low-pollution alternatives, and
- for vibrant communities where everyone can access jobs, schools, shops, and more!
- And we all depend on the essential workers who depend on transit!
Without a yes vote, nearly all transit in Oakland and Macomb Counties will stop operating!
Public transit is an essential community resource and worthwhile investment: The 0.95 mil property tax costs the average family less than $10 a month and is a renewal in most places. Just like parks and a fire department, every community needs public transit!
HOW you can help
- Pledge to Vote YES for County Transit on this November’s ballot
- Then urge your family and friends to do the same
- Donate so we can build broad regional support
- RSVP for and help promote our Transit Town Halls
- Distribute info to your friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers
- Sign up to volunteer at fairs, festivals, community events, and at polling sites
- Urge supportive organizations, businesses, and civic leaders you know to endorse
- Arrange for a TRU speaker to present to your local civic league or community group
If everyone supports in all the ways they can, we can win big for transit this November!